Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Do nothing...

Doing nothing is really nice! This is the first day since Friday since I've used my laptop... granted I was out of town over the weekend, but last night I chose not to use my computer and it was nice to finally do nothing. Of course, my best friend would remind me that doing nothing is a luxury and that I shouldn't pat myself on the back. I appreciate where she's coming from because I know working for yourself and being a good parent leaves alone time in the dust... you never really get down time because you always have to be prepared for your kids' needs as all good parents know. I'm not a parent, so I'm just guessing.

Anyway, I don't think people realize the effort necessary for me to do creative/artistic things when I've been forehead deep in science and mathematics all day. It's equivalent to driving in one direction all day, then half way through the day you have to turn completely around and try to get past where you began before it's time to stop for the day. I make a 180 degree turn every day to try and work on projects and it can get stressful at times. My mind just isn't in creative mode when I leave work. It happens every day and I get tired, so doing nothing was nice for a change. It would be really nice if my profession and hobbies were in the same realm. I'm not complaining, I like being able to handle the technical and artistic, I just wish everyone was aware that it's not like flipping a switch on command, it's more like Sisyphus rolling a boulder up hill all day just to have it roll to the bottom again and again, I may make a little progress but I'm actually always starting over.

1 comment:

allen etter said...

I can totally relate. Shifting between my three jobs that require three different styles of teaching is bad enough.

BTW, the Drifter progress is fantastic.