Tuesday, September 02, 2008

slicin' n dicin'

Soooooooo.... I finally took a stab at parsing the first part of Allen's Darkness Aftermath script into comic page sized chunks. Currently: 28 pages. Now, that is approximately 6 pages more than a typical monthly comic book (Batman, etc.), but it is about 19 pages less than book 2 turned out to be. I haven't checked whether the division of the script was done by script sections or by content, but since Sally's book 2 was finished last spring, there isn't much I can do to match its size and there's only so much content that I'm willing to stretch over several pages of art.

There is a ton of content in the portion of the script Sally chose to tackle, which easily explains why it turned out to be such a large volume of work. The first part of the script seems bare in comparison, not due to quality but solely because so much of the story is taken up in the second book. Segmenting the story into pages is kind of a artistic/scientific process in and of itself, and it differs per person. I try to split dialogue/scenes in logical pages where one would expect to turn a page or place a 'surprising' occurence in the story on the next page so that the reader does not see it unless their line of sight changes pages. I could probably write an entire post on my personal ideas on script-to-page dissection, but I'm lazy.

2 comments:

allen etter said...

I'll get you a rough cut DVD. Post more sketches! Can't wait.

jonzig said...

Video would probably help the flow of the book.

I don't get a chance to sketch much since I leave home around 7:30-8:00 and don't get home til usually after 8:00. So, when I do actually draw it will probably only be the actual pages of the book.
I know, I know... artists need to sketch to hone their abilities... but, remember, I studied physics so I'm not really an artist, I just play one on a blog :P